Tuesday, March 3, 2009

T-Minus 21 days

AG says that I need to keep folks interested in me and my blog, so despite the fact that I haven't started the camino yet, it's time for an update on my preparations. I have been taking long walks around San Francisco and going on a lot of hikes, breaking in those boots and even wearing my pack (weighted) to get used to it. I'm still counting on lots of blisters along the walk, I don't think they can be avoided, but hopefully all this walking will help. I've also just been really thankful to have the time to see a lot of the Bay Area before I take off for a few months; one of the things I love about living here is the easy access - all year round - to such beautiful scenery, and it's nice to be able to take advantage of it. (Thanks, unemployment!)

I've also been reading a lot about the Camino, trying to guesstimate my route (and coordinating with my mother, who plans to join me for the last 100 km...she's in training too!). I came across this article, "Really Slow Travel: Walking Your Way Around the World," which I think is a pretty great way to approach traveling. I have never been to Spain, and I can't think of a better way to get to see it than to walk across it. (Incidentally, the site where I found this article, vagabondish.com, is a great article to peruse for any travel-lover).

If all goes according to plan, I will be starting the walk exactly three weeks from today, in Pamplona. Tengo ganas!

4 comments:

  1. What are you packing? I want details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent question, Rob. Hopefully, not too much. The basics are: one set of clothes for the walking, a pair of boots, a change of clothes for the afternoons/evenings, a pair of lighter shoes, a few pairs or socks and underwear (quick dry!) a sleeping bag, a pack towel, a sweater, a raincoat. Some things I'm undecided on are: rain pants, a Kindle, etc. Every ounce is going to count, so I'm working on making all of these things as small and light as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm. I say no Kindle but yes rain pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you came around from my comments!
    -AG

    ReplyDelete